Are you trying to decide where to eat on Christmas Day in Sydney for 2021? Whether you like to celebrate with Christmas Eve dinner, have a seafood lunch or a more traditional Christmas menu look no further, we have done all the research to save you hours of searching.
The good news for some is that in 2021 it appears the ever-popular Christmas Buffet will be back at many venues. With Sydney only officially opening up this week it could be the end of October before all the Christmas menus are released and bookings made available.
We have been busy updating this page and will continue to do so daily until Christmas so bookmark this page and come back soon. If we’ve missed any, please get in touch to let us know!
It can be hard being away from family and friends during the holidays, and it can be challenging figuring out what is open on Xmas day, we hope this list of ideas will help.
Whatever you do we hope you have a fabulous Christmas in Sydney.
Last Updated 12/10/21
- Find the perfect restaurant for Christmas in Sydney
- Christmas Eve Lunch and Dinner in Sydney 2021
- Where to Eat Christmas Lunch in Sydney
- Christmas lunch in the City, Pyrmont, Darling Harbour and Barangaroo
- Christmas Day Lunch Harbour Cruises 2020
- Christmas Day lunch with Sydney Harbour views
- Christmas Lunch in Manly and the Northern Beaches and North Shore
- Christmas lunch in Sydney’s West and Hills District
- Christmas in the Inner West
- Christmas Dining in the South and Sutherland Shire
- Good Choices for Christmas Lunch in Sydney with Kids
- Christmas in the Blue Mountains
- Where to find your Christmas Day coffee
- Things to do on Christmas Day in Sydney besides eat!
Find the perfect restaurant for Christmas in Sydney
Where to find the best Christmas buffet lunch or dinner in Sydney
This year Christmas buffets seem to be making a bit of a comeback with some of our favourites like Feast at the Sheraton Grand back in action. However many restaurants will offer fixed menus, unlimited servings or shared plate service.
Are there any Christmas Eve or Christmas night dinners?
Sure are, you can find Christmas Eve and dinners, even Christmas day brunches are on offer. For something low key the Sheraton is offering Christmas Day High tea!
What is different in 2021?
One thing we have noticed this year is that many restaurants are only offering one sitting so this may result in things booking out more quickly than previous years.
Christmas Eve Lunch and Dinner in Sydney 2021
Looking for dining options for a Christmas Eve get together?
Feast at the Sheraton Grand
Feast will offer both lunch and dinner services on Christmas Eve. Lunch will be available from 12-2pm and include a glass of sparkling wine on arrival for adults.
Cost: Adults $129, Kids (5-12 years) $64.50. Dinner will be offered from 6-9pm and be $169 for adults and $79.50 for kids.
View the menu | Make a booking | Phone: (02) 9286 6000
Sir Stanford Hotel Circular Quay
Sir Stanford will offer a Christmas Eve buffet dinner featuring a salad bar, turkey, ham, and 4 hot mains along with a large selection of desserts. Seatings from 5:30-8:30pm. Dine and Discover vouchers are accepted.
O Bar and Dining
Watch the sunset and the city lights come on as you celebrate Christmas with family and friends. A three-course meal (4 choices for each course)
Botanic House in the Royal Botanic Gardens will offer an 11 course shared feast with drinks on arrival. Choose from a 5pm or 7pm seating. Adults $150, Kids under 12 years $60)
The Langham Hotel – Kitchens on Kent
An extensive Chrismas Buffet offering loads of glorious Aussie seafood, with prawns, Sydney rock oysters, crab and Balmain bugs. There will also be a sushi and sashimi raw bar, Asian, Indian and Mediterranean bars, and of course a Christmas carvery. Top it off with more than 10 dessert options including a chocolate fountain. Also includes a drink package with wine, beer, soft drinks, tea and coffee.
A brisk walk around Barangaroo might be in order on completion!
Lunch 12pm – 2pm Dinner 6pm – 10pm
Lunch cost: Adults $248 and Kids (under 4-12 years) $40
Dinner cost: Adults $220 and kids (under 12 years) $110
Where to Eat Christmas Lunch in Sydney
It’s worth noting that 2021 lunches are booking fast – if you have your heart set on something book it now!
Christmas lunch in the City, Pyrmont, Darling Harbour and Barangaroo
O Bar and Dining
O Bar and Dining will offer both lunch and dinner. A five-course meal with your choice from 4 entrees and mains and 3 desserts, added to this a starter course of oysters and to finish petit fours. Vegetarian options are available, and there is also a children’s menu.
Cost: Adults $225 and Kids $100.
View the menu | Make a booking | Phone: 02 9247 9777
Christmas Lunch at Botanic House in the Royal Botanic Gardens will offer a shared feast menu by Luke Nguyen. The 2021 menu includes drinks on arrival and an 11-course feast. Two-hour seatings are available from 11:00am – 4:30pm.
Cost: Adults $170 and Kids (under 12 years) $60
View the menu | Make a booking | Phone: 1300 558 980
Sir Stanford Hotel Circular Quay
Well located opposite the Royal Botanic Garden just a short walk from Circular Quay Sir Stanford will offer both Christmas Day lunch and dinner.
Christmas Lunch is a seafood buffet from 11:30am-2pm A 2-hour Standard beverage package is included. There will also be a special visit from Santa with a gift for each child.
Seafood Buffet Dinner will be held from 5:30-8:30pm and includes a plus a 2hr beverage package including house beer, wine and sparkling. Dine and Discover vouchers are being accepted
Feast at the Sheraton Grand
It’s hard to beat the buffet at Feast their famous seafood selection is legendary, with everything from prawns and rock oysters to lobster and Balmain bugs. There is also a sushi and sashimi bar, antipasti and salad will be all the Christmas favourites including ham, turkey and plenty of desserts.
Your lunch includes a 3-hour beverage package of hotel selected red, white and sparkling wine, house beers, soft drinks and juices.
At lunch service, Santa will be popping in and all children will receive a signature gift pack.
Cost Lunch: 12-3pm Adults $350, Teens (13-17 years) $190 and kids (5-12 years) $162.50
Cost Dinner: 6-9pm Adults $325, Teens $190 and kids $162.50
Park Hyatt Hotel
Both the Dining Room and the Living Room will host guests for Christmas. With one of the best Opera House views in the city, the Dining Room at the Park Hyatt is a fabulous choice for Christmas day lunch or dinner. A 4-course menu with a glass of Veuve Clicquot Champagne is on offer at both services. Lunch from 12-3pm and Dinner from 6-10pm
Lunch cost: Adults $320 and Kids (under 12 years) $160
Dinner cost: Adults $220 and kids (under 12 years) $110
The Langham Hotel – Kitchens on Kent
Gather your family and friends for an intimate and stress-free family-style lunch event on Christmas Day. Indulge, with our extravagant seafood displays, carvery meat selection and festive dessert stations. For all our little diners, look out for Santa! Lunch 12pm – 2pm Dinner 6pm – 10pm
Gowings Bar and Grill
The in-house restaurant at the QT Sydney, Gowings Bar and Grill will offer an indulgent three-course feast that will be sprinkled with “dashes of QT quirk”. Starters will include generous shared platters of seafood, Christmas ham, white Tarramasalata with salmon roe and sourdough Crumpets. For mains choose from Roast Turkey, Porchetta or Wood Roasted Salmon with cheesecake, Cherries on Ice or Fruit Mince Pies with brandy sauce to round out the meal. Seatings between 12-2.30pm
Christmas Day Lunch Harbour Cruises 2020
Christmas Day cruise on Sydney Harbour may be in short supply this year. We are awaiting updates from cruise operators but with international travellers generally the biggest takers for lunch on the harbour you may want to get in quickly when these become available.
Christmas lunch cruises can be more affordable than many of the waterfront restaurants and most offer a mix of Christmas and Seafood options with drinks included.
Captain Cook Christmas Cruises
Sydney’s premier cruise company is offering 3 dining choices for Christmas Day on the MV Sydney 2000 on Christmas Day. The cruise departs at 12.30pm and returns at 3pm.
- Ocean Deck – Christmas platters that include Charcuterie board, Seafood platter with Queensland prawns, Sydney rock oysters and smoked Salmon, Thai Calamari Salad and fat cut chips. Dessert with mini puddings and pavlovas. Also included is a standard bar package of house wines, beers & soft drinks. This is on the entry-level deck with no stairs. Currently early bird of $159 – Normally $225 | Child 4-15 $159.
- Club Deck Lunch – 4-course lunch with superior drinks package held on the middle deck. Early bird $175 Normally $225 | Child 4-15 $179
- Sky Deck – 4-course premium lunch plus superior wines, beers and spirits served on the top deck. Earlybird $225 Normally $275 | Child 4-15 $189
Other cruise options include:
- Vagabond Cruises have a 3-hour lunch cruise $145 for adults and $115 for kids (children under five free) Drinks not included
- Oz WhaleWatching – one of the friendliest boats on the harbour is offering a 3-hour seafood buffet including drinks for $147 for adults and $97 for kids.
- Majestic Cruises – a Christmas banquet and drinks package $149 for adults and $130 for kids.
- Sydney Harbour Showboat – a 3-hour banquet lunch cruise with drinks package included. Jazz duo and the views provide the entertainment. Adults $159
Christmas Day lunch with Sydney Harbour views
Fancy dining with a view? These options all offer water views.
The Nielson at Shark Beach Vaucluse will offer a three-course set menu with choice plus snacks, bread, olives and sides. It’s an easy transition to the beach for a Christmas Day swim in the afternoon. Drinks are not included. Matching wines and a full beverage list are available to order on the day.
Ripples Chowder Bay
With beautiful views over Chowder Bay, Ripples is a lovely relaxed place to celebrate Christmas lunch. On offer is a three-course menu (Salmon, Pork or risotto)l with sides If you are looking to avoid traditional Christmas fare this is a good option.
Cost: Adults $225 and Kids (under 12 years) $95
View the menu | Make a booking via email firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone:(02) 9960 3000
On the historic wooden wharf, Otto at Woolloomooloo is offering a four-course menu with plenty of choices. No turkey, ham or plum pudding here, just plenty of Italian inspired eats featuring fresh local ingredients.
This year Ormeggio will offer a luxury three-course sharing lunch menu. The menu will be confirmed 3 weeks prior to the day. Although the chef is happy to accommodate dietary requirements or allergies with notice.
The Deckhouse at Woolwich on Sydney’s lower north shore has a lovely view of the Harbour Bridge is a bonus on top of their consistently delicious food. A three-course menu with a beverage package of wines (Sparkling, White, Rose & Red), beers, soft drinks & juices. Three seatings between 12-1pm.
Cost: Adults $275 per adult, Children $150
View the menu (not yet available) | Make a booking | Phone: 02 8279 2706
Related: Check out our Sydney Christmas Gift Guide to support local small operators
Christmas Lunch in Manly and the Northern Beaches and North Shore
If you fancy Christmas day in Manly, then you should have several options. Last year many of the restaurants on the wharf were open for Christmas lunch and dinner. As these become available I will update this page.
Pilu at Freshwater
Pilu at Freshwater is a fantastic choice for a relaxed waterfront Christmas day. With beautiful views out of Freshwater Beach, you can finish up the day with a lovely waterfront walk.
Their 2021 Christmas lunch will be a four-course menu featuring the classic Aussie surf and turf for the main. Prices do not include drinks.
Christmas lunch in Sydney’s West and Hills District
Novotel Parramatta is back with a generous Christmas buffet featuring a Christmas carvery with turkey, wagyu, ham and pork belly, plenty of fresh Aussie seafood including prawns, oysters, salmon and mussels. Desserts include all the Christmas classics along with fresh fruit and cheese. A generous 4-hour drinks package is included (house wine, beer and soft drinks). They even throw in free parking!
Cost: Adults $172 per adult, seniors $142, Teens $112 Children (5-12yrs) $92
View the menu | Make a booking | Phone: (02) 9630 4999
The Hills Lodge in Castle Hill will offer 3 course Christmas lunch featuring choices of turkey, ham, and wagyu with Yule log and Eton Mess among the dessert offerings.
The Epping Club
Enjoy a gourmet buffet* feast including seafood and a decadent dessert ham, turkey, seafood platters and enough dessert to think you are at nana’s place the lunch at the Epping Club is a generous feast!
*If COVID restrictions are still in place a three-course meal will be substituted.
Cost: Members $115, Non Members $125, Children $49 aged from 2-12 years
Menu not available | Make a booking | Phone: (02) 9876 4357
Related: Still not sure what to do NYE? Check our guide to NYE Dining.
Christmas in the Inner West
A lovely waterfront option in East Balmain just minutes from the ferry wharf. Enjoy lunch with stunning views of Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The Fenwick is offering a three-course set menu with sides.
Christmas Dining in the South and Sutherland Shire
Neptunes at Brighton le Sands will be offering a festive version of the usual menu with a few special options like a $55 a head, the Mediterranean share menu or a $75 for a BBQ meal.
Good Choices for Christmas Lunch in Sydney with Kids
Darling Harbour would be high on my list for anyone travelling with kids. Most, if not all of the restaurants here will be open and child-friendly.
- Fratelli Fresh’s Italian menus are well suited to kids, and the venues are family friends. Their 2020 Christmas menu features budget-friendly offerings at only $89 for adults and $29 for kids. You can add a 2 hr drinks package for $39 (Aperol spritz, espresso martini, house wine, prosecco and craft beer)
- Nicks Restaurant Group is a great option for families. There are several restaurants in the group, including Seafood, Italian, Greek and steak options. Most located at Darling Harbour.
- Pancakes at the Rocks will be trading as usual.
Centennial Homestead in Centennial Park will feature a Christmas Day Degustation menu with Oysters, prawns, snapper, beef and chicken. No one will go home hungry here! Adults $149 and kids $45.
Christmas Eve Dinner is still available – a 6-course degustation for the same price as lunch with 5.45 and 7.30pm seating.
Christmas in the Blue Mountains
Fancy escaping Sydney’s heat and celebrating somewhere different this year? The Blue Mountains is the spot to go! Eat your body weight in delicious food on Christmas day and then spend the next couple of days walking it off!
With stunning views over the Jamison Valley, the Fairmont Resort has two options on Christmas Day and one each on Christmas Eve and Christmas Night.
Christmas Day Luncheon in the Grand Ballroom will feature a seafood starter, choice of four mains, plenty of desserts and a cheese course. House wine and beer, selected soft drinks and tea and coffee also included. Bookings open now, prices $219 adults, / teen (13-17) $179 / children (5-12) $99 / children (4 & under) Free
Christmas Day Lunch in Jamison’s Restaurant will offer a relaxed menu that includes seafood, choice of main, festive desserts and cheese. A selection of beer, wine & soft drinks is also included. Priced at adults $169 / teen (13-17) $109 / children (5-12) $49 / Under 5 Free
Hotel Mountain Heritage
Why not have your Christmas Dinner at the Jamison Views Restaurant in Katoomba
Indulge in a four-course menu featuring butternut pumpkin soup with parmesan twist, a medley of roast meats, vegetables and buttered broccolini, and traditional plum pudding, brandy anglaise, fine vanilla ice cream and choc curl, washed down with freshly brewed tea or coffee. Priced at $119pp, children $59pp (3-12 years).
The Lookout Echo Point – 3-course menu and cocktail on arrival – seating 12:00pm – 2:00pm
Adults $90 | Kids $40
The following restaurants have not released their 2021 details yet. We will be updating as soon as we get them but for now, here is what was on offer last year.
Quay Restaurant – with a prime position on the waterfront opposite the Opera House and its status on various lists of best restaurants around the world this is a splurge for sure but for cashed-up food lovers, it’s an experience that’s hard to beat. The 2020 menu will offer Champagne on arrival, three canapes, and a five-course menu for $490 per person, add wine for $205 per person.
Watson’s Bay Hotel is a very Sydney spot to spend Christmas Day combining a small beach and harbour views. The 2020 menu features snapper, pork and turkey, with a 4-hour beverage package for Adults $299, Teens/kids (10-17 yrs) $125, under 10 free.
Kingsleys Woolloomooloo is offering a 3-course set menu for 2020. This includes a shared hot and cold seafood platter to start, followed by your choice from 4 mains and 4 desserts. $179 adults and $45 kids.
Watergrill at Kirribilli Club will offer a three-course Christmas lunch with an alternate service (so make sure you are dining with someone who likes the opposite of you lol). Adults $190 | Kids (under 12) $65. Includes a drinks package.
Bather’s Pavilion with its fantastic beach and harbour views and a few dining options ranging from brunch, a restaurant or cafe lunch or a formal lunch with a drinks package. This year Brunch will be $125, a formal lunch with drinks $295 and a 3-course bistro lunch only $195. Full pricing details here.
Gantry at Pier One – If you want something a bit different to the traditional Christmas fare The Gantry at Pier One will feature a six-course tasting menu showcasing local, seasonal ingredients, including a premium seafood platter and a glass of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque champagne on arrival. for $349pp. Add a wine package for $79pp
They will also offer a bottomless Christmas feast called the Christmas Luxe Lunch with premium meats and seafood, salads and sides, Christmas favourites and more! No need to leave your seat, order as much as you like of the dishes you love and the servers will bring it to your table, accompanied by a flowing selection of wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverages. Prices start at $299 – Adult, $199 – Teen, $99 – Child – more for Harbour Bridge views and window seats.
Noi in Petersham – Celebrate Christmas Day at Noi in Petersham – On offer is a 4-course set lunch menu plus snacks and a glass of Prosecco on arrival
Where to find your Christmas Day coffee
Casual Christmas Day Eats & Coffee (and drinks)
If you prefer not to book something fancy these establishments were open Christmas Day 2020. If you are travelling out of your way to one of these it might be good to double-check before you set out. We have added updates for as many places as we could find.
City centre and inner suburbs
- Primary Coffee Roasters in Potts Point will be open from 7am till noon
- Meet Mica in Surry Hills will be open all day 8am-3pm
- The Mayflower Cafe in Darlinghurst
- Chat Thai -Haymarket
- Coffee, Tea and Me – Redfern
- Organic Bread Bar – Darlinghurst
- John Montagu – Darlinghurst – coffee only 8am-noon
- The Factory Grind – Surry Hills – from 6am
- Joseph Hyde – Darlinghurst – morning only
- Tropicana – Darlinghurst
- They’re There – Darlinghurst – coffees, frappes, smoothies and wraps
Barangaroo and Darling Harbour
- Anason at Barangaroo – Turkish hospitality from 12-10pm
- Muum Maam – Thai Christmas lunch or dinner
- Bungalow 8 at Cockle Bay Wharf will be open noon till midnight with a Christmas Day BBQ
- Mamak – Haymarket – Malaysian – lunch and dinner
Circular Quay and the Rocks
- City Extra at Circular Quay – 24 hours a day 365 days a year for 30 years. These guys will be serving their full menu all-day
- Pancakes at the Rocks – Pancakes and more.
- Grain Bar, Four Season Hotel – 2pm–late
- Pacific Club Bondi Beach – noon till 5pm
- Macchina (next to the Hellenic bakery) in Marrickville 7am-1pm
- Matinee Coffee – Marrickville – 8am-11am Take away coffee only
- Campos on Missenden Rd is open 8-12 Christmas day.
- Shenkin- Erskineville, Newtown, Enmore and Surry Hills open tomorrow from 7am-noon for takeaway.
- Wolf and Stone – Dulwich Hill
- Continental Deli – Newtown – noon till 4pm
- Shuk – North Bondi, Elizabeth Bay and Chatswood from 7am
- Love of Beans Carlton – coffee and cake 7am-noon at least.
- Neptunes, Brighton-Le-Sands: 9am-late
- Efendy – Balmain – noon–3pm, 5–10pm
- Miller’s Kitchen Cammeray – Breakfast from 7.30am / Lunch 12.30-3.30pm
- Ellie Mays Nook in Cammeray
Things to do on Christmas Day in Sydney besides eat!
If you would rather miss all the Christmas feasting and spend your day either sightseeing or fighting off homesickness check out these ideas.
- If you are from the Northern Hemisphere, you might enjoy the novelty of a day at the beach. Bondi is usually busy on Christmas Day, and everyone is happy to share the Christmas spirit.
- Say Merry Christmas to the animals at Taronga Zoo – They would love your presence, and a bonus is the crowds are usually a little smaller on Christmas Day. SeaLife Aquarium and Wildlife Sydney Zoo are also open and offer joint tickets that reduce the cost a little.
Check out our list of the best Christmas celebrations in Sydney in the lead up to the big day!
- For something memorable, you could book a Bridge climb. These will probably book out to best to get in early.
- Attend mass at St Marys Cathedral (Catholic) or St Andrews Cathedral (Anglican)
- Jump on the 8.54 am train up to Katoomba and explore the Blue Mountains in relative peace as many tour operators do not run on Christmas day.
Have you sorted your plans for Boxing Day? Don’t miss the start of the Sydney to Hobart.
More ideas for the holiday season in Sydney